New Zealand Reopens Two Christchurch Mosques
|New Zealand Reopens Two Christchurch Mosques|
After being officially reopened, a number of survivors of the massacre were among the pilgrims who first entered and prayed for those who died.
At the Al Noor mosque, where more than 40 people were killed by suspected supremacist white supporters, prayers continued with armed police at the scene. But there is no graphic that reminds of the worst mass shooting event in New Zealand.
Aden Diriye, who lost his 3-year-old son Mucad Ibrahim in the attack, returned to the mosque with his friends.
"I am very happy," he said after praying. "God is good for us. I returned as soon as we were rebuilt, to pray, "he added, as quoted by Reuters on Saturday (03/23/2019).
Most of the victims of the shootings, which were quickly criticized by New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern as a terrorist attack, were migrants or refugees and their deaths echoed throughout the Islamic world.
Prince El Hassan bin Talal from Jordan, who visited the Al Noor mosque, said the attack attacked human dignity.
"This is a moment of deep sadness for all of us, all humanity," he said.
Police said they had also reopened the nearby Linwood mosque. The Linwood Mosque was the second mosque that was attacked during Friday prayers last week.
New Zealand has been under increasing security warnings since the attack. New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern also moved quickly with a new law on hard gun ownership, banning several weapons used in the March 15 shooting.
Ashif Shaikh, who was at Al Noor mosque on the day of the massacre in which two of his housemates were killed and returned on Saturday, said he would not be prevented.
"That is where we pray, where we meet, we will come back," he said.